Sunday 23 February 2014

Home Made Water Decals

Hi There
I am so excited I had to post this right away although I have already posted today.

I have made my own water decals( yey).

The materials you will need are transparent water decal paper (my printer is an ink jet printer so this is the decal paper I bought and you can get it from Amazon.co.uk). You will also need a can of acrylic gloss spray(also available at Amazon.co.uk)  but if you can't find this a cheap nail varnish will do instead ( it is only used to stop the image from bleeding when it is put in the water). The other things you will need are base coat, base colour, a bowl of water, scissors, plain white paper and tweezers. You will need a computer that has word and or power point installed and google(for the images) I think that's it.
So the first thing it to find the images that you want to have on your nails and copy the images into a word or power point document

Sorry for the bad quality of the image it's because the monitor shows up funny through the camera. So the next thing to do is to re size the image so right click on the image and select format picture
Once you have selected this a box will come up, if you want to crop the image select picture but we want to re size this to fit our nail so click on size
Enter the height and width that you want the image to be and then do a print test on a sheet of plain white paper to see how the image looks, and to make sure that the image is small enough for your nails. When this step is compete and you are happy with the size you are ready to print onto your decal paper. I would suggest that you fill the full sheet with designs as to avoid wasting the rest of the paper like this
I like quite gothic images but I have also got images of the minions from Disney's Despicable Me and images from Disney Tangled. I then left the images to dry. I sprayed them with the acrylic spray but this turned out to be a major fail as the images still smudged even though I left them to dry over night so I went with plan B and covered them with a cheap clear nail varnish.

Whilst this was drying I painted my nails 
I painted all my nails with my usual base coat Sally Hansen Advanced Hard As Nails Strengthener I then painted my thumb and ring fingers in Mayfair by Nails In and my index, middle and little fingers in Disco Lane by Nails Inc (a holographic black polish). I then selected the image that I wanted to put on my thumb and ring finger
As you can see I cut out the image and then soaked it in the water for a few seconds. I then slid the image off the backing paper and using my tweezers placed it on my nails. I then positioned the image where I wanted it and dabbed it with a piece of tissue to remove the excess water and waited for it to dry. When dry I covered the whole mani with a quick drying topcoat 
This is the finished mani
 I love this design I know it's not for everybody though.

What do you think 

Please leave any questions that you have about this technique or other mani's I have done in the comments box and I will answer all questions. Do you like this mani please also leave comments below, and if you have any ideas of mani's you would like to see me do in future please also put this in the comments 

Thank you for reading I know this is a long one
Yorkshire Rose xx




 

 




2 comments:

  1. hi could you give the link where you buy that decal water paper and the acrylic spray? please =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lau
    Yes I got it from Amazon.co.uk
    I got the TPH A4 inkjet water slide decal paper in transparent but you can also get it in white if you want to put you decal over a dark colour. I also bought the crystal clear acrylic spay in the gloss you can also buy it in matte. I have to say though that this didn't work too well for me so I ended up using a cheap top coat instead and it worked much better. Hope this helps
    :-)

    ReplyDelete